Working Visa

Work visas are required for foreigners by the Hong Kong Immigration Department before taking up any sort of employment whether it is paid or unpaid, short-term or long-term, unless you have been provided a Right of Abode, a Right to Land or an Unconditional Stay in Hong Kong.

Generally, in order to apply for a work visa in Hong Kong, an individual should have an employment offer in beforehand and possess unique qualifications and relevant working experience that are not readily available in Hong Kong.
The processing time of a work visa is normally 4-6 weeks from the date of submission. Upon approval of the application, a one-year work visa will be granted. The approach to obtain a work visa depends on each applicant's circumstances. The applicant should apply and be granted a work visa before entering Hong Kong to take up his/her employment.

If an individual comes to Hong Kong before applying for a work visa, or an individual is recruited locally, and then subsequently applies for a visa whilst in Hong Kong, this will effect a change of status application from a visitor visa to a work visa. This type of application is comparatively more difficult to process, and requires an explanation as to why an individual did not apply for a work visa before he/she came to Hong Kong. Thus, if at all possible, it is advisable to submit the application prior to entering Hong Kong.

In situations where an overseas company wishes to transfer an employee internally to their Hong Kong office, these types of applications can be fairly straightforward as long as the employee has been employed by that company for some time.
If the applicant has only been employed by the company overseas for a few months, then the application will probably be treated as a “new” application instead of an “internal transfer” application, and thus more supporting evidence as to why the position could not be filled locally will be necessary.

 Our Services Include

  • Consulting on documents required for your work visa application
  • Preparing a specially tailored document checklist for you and your employer
  • Completing all necessary Hong Kong Immigration forms for you
  • Reviewing and organizing your documents in favor of immigration policy
  • Submitting your application to the Immigration Department
  • Replying on your behalf to all enquiries and correspondence from Immigration
  • Preparing and drafting all letters required for submission to Immigration
  • Monitoring the application process
  • Keeping you updated on the status of your application
  • Having the visa endorsed on your passport and delivered to you.


Your Hong Kong visa application process normally takes 4 to 6 weeks.


Your initial Hong Kong visa once obtained is valid for a maximum of 24 months.

 Applicant Requirements

  • Degree Holder / Good technical qualifications / Proven professional abilities
  • No known record of serious crime in respect of the applicant
  • There is a genuine job vacancy
  • The applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job relevant to his academic qualifications or work experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force
  • The remuneration package including income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

 Documents Requirements

  • An application form ID(E) 990A with your signatures
  • An application form ID(E) 990B with your sponsor's signatures
  • Copy of your passport (your personal particulars page)
  • Copy of your service contract or letter of appointment from your sponsoring employer
  • Copies of your sponsoring employer's business incorporation documents
  • Copies of your personal documents to prove that locals can't fill the position

 1. I have been in Hong Kong for last couple of years and my visa expires in 1 weeks. 4 weeks ago I submitted my visa extension application however I still have not heard from immigration and and my visa is expiring. Can I still stay in Hong Kong or I need to leave?
Its best to call the immigration officer to check your extension application status. Under normal circumstances, you are allowed to stay in Hong Kong until the extension application is approved even your current visa is expired.

 2. I am an Austrian holding a working holiday visa. I have worked with my current employer for two months and he would like to hire me as a permanent staff. Would I apply an employment visa now?
No. You have to cancel the working holiday visa first and then apply an employment visa overseas.

 3. I current live overseas, but I want to live in Hong Kong because I like the culture and environment in Hong Kong, would I just come to Hong Kong and then look for a job?
You may consider applying a visa under Quality Migration Scheme. Once your application is approved, you will be granted a one year visa which can allow you to look for a job and settle in Hong Kong.

 4. I am holding a training visa in Hong Kong and my HK office wants to hire me as a permanent staff in Hong Kong, can I change my current training visa to employment visa?
No. Immigration grants you a training visa on the ground that you come to Hong Kong to receive training and your HK office has to ensure you will return back to your home country when you finish your training. Thus, you have to cancel your training visa first and apply your employment visa overseas.

 5. I am hired by a US company and they intend to relocate me to Hong Kong to take care of their Asia Pacific based clients there, but my US company does not have any entities registered in Hong Kong, can my US company be my sponsor company?
No. All employment visa applications must be sponsored by a local sponsor company which should be registered in Hong Kong as legal entities. Your US company may register a local company or a branch or a representative office in Hong Kong in order to support your employment visa application.

 6. Can I apply an employment visa if I am offered a part-time employment in Hong Kong?
No, all employment visa applications must be sponsored by a local sponsor company whom you will be engaged with them as a full time employee.

 7. How long will the application process take?
Generally speaking, 4-6 weeks from the date of last submission. The exception if right of abode applications, which take 6-12 weeks. Individual processing times can vary, according to the background of the applicant, the sponsor company and the timely submission of all documentation.

 8. Can I get a part-time job besides working full-time with my sponsor company?
Yes. However, you have to get a consent from Immigration Department before taking up your part-time employment or engaging in a side business.