Investment Visa

An investment visa is a subcategory of the work visa, designed for those individuals who intend to stay in Hong Kong to actively participate in daily business operations.

In order to obtain an investment visa in Hong Kong, an individual should prove that the business entity engaged in Hong Kong, would enhance the economy of Hong Kong by providing proof of hiring local staff.

There is no monetary minimum required by the Immigration Department for an individual to invest in a business in order to obtain an investment visa. However, applicants should show that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and the business in Hong Kong. Thus, sound financial statements are one of the supporting criteria required by the Immigration Department.

In addition, to distinguish an investment visa from a work visa, one should be a majority shareholder of the company and (should contribute significantly in a business sense.) Otherwise a work visa would be more appropriate.

 Our Services Include

  • Consulting on documents required for your work visa application.
  • Preparing a specially tailored document checklist for you and your employer.
  • Completing all necessary Hong Kong Immigration forms for you.
  • Reviewing and organizing your documents in favor of immigration policy.
  • Submitting your application to the Immigration Department.
  • Replying on your behalf to all enquiries and correspondence from Immigration.
  • Preparing and drafting all letters required for submission to Immigration.
  • Monitoring the application process.
  • Keeping you updated on the status of your application.
  • Having the visa endorsed on your passport and delivered to you.


- Your Hong Kong visa application process normally takes 4 to 6 weeks.


- Your initial Hong Kong visa once obtained is valid for a maximum of 24 months.

 Applicant Requirements

  • Degree Holder / Good technical qualifications / Proven professional abilities.
  • No known record of serious crime in respect of the applicant.
  • HK company already established.
  • Business Plan - Coming 36 months financial forecast.

 Documents Requirements

  • An application form ID(E) 999A with your signatures.
  • an application form ID(E) 999B with your sponsor's signatures.
  • copy of your passport (your personal particulars page).
  • Your company detailed business plan.
  • Copies of your sponsoring company's business incorporation documents.
  • Copies of your personal documents to prove that you need to be physically present in Hong Kong.

 1. I am a freelancer working on the consulting job for several years, now my boy friend moves to Hong Kong and I want to move to Hong Kong as well. Understood I may not be able to apply a dependant visa because we are not married. However, we enjoy our life style right now, and has no intention to get marry because of the visa issue. What can I do?
There is no freelancer work visa offered in Hong Kong. You may consider setting a new Hong Kong company and apply an investment visa.

 2. I have an oversea company for many years and I want to set up a Hong Kong office to be closer to my clients in China. I will be physically in Hong Kong to take care the business. However, I want to be sure that I will get the investment visa before I put the funds into my Hong Kong office and start hiring staff as well as renting an office space. Is it possible?
Yes, possible. However, you have to show Immigration that your HK business has potential to grow and to hire local staff and to rent an office space in one year time.

 3. I set up a company in Hong Kong and want to get an investment visa with the support of my newly incorporated company, how much of do I need to inject into my company in order to get the approval of investment visa?
There is no minimum money requirement for investment visa application. However, you should show Immigration Department that your company will enhance the economy of Hong Kong in terms of hiring local people.

 4. I own some shares in the company and I am also a paid employee in the company. Should I apply for employment visa or investment visa?
It depends on several factors: how many shares you own in the company, how many shareholders in the company, and your working experiences as well as how much of money you invest into the company, etc. However, in general speaking, if you are a majority shareholder, you should apply for investment visa.

 5. I own a local company in Hong Kong and hire local staff to operate the daily business in Hong Kong and I just occasionally travel to Hong Kong to supervise the operation. In this situation, do I need a visa?
No. There is no restriction for foreigners to register a company in Hong Kong. However, if the company owner(s) intend to station and work in Hong Kong, they need to apply for employment/investment visas.